Alabama Department of Senior Services
A RESOURCE FOR ALABAMA SENIORS WITH MEMORY LOSS AND THEIR CARE GIVERS
Eating right is important to stay healthy. Not getting the right amount and type of nutrition can lead to behavior changes. Following a healthy nutrition plan is important.
Mealtime can be made easier by:
• Eating in a calm and quiet place
• Avoiding things that take attention from the meal
• Serving food that is not too hot or too cold
• Don’t serve too many foods at one time
• Allowing for extra time to eat if needed
Prepare foods that are easy to chew and swallow. If it appears that food and drinks are hard to swallow, ask your physician about a swallowing test by a speech-language pathologist (SLP) or an occupational therapist (OT). They can make an eating and swallowing plan specific to your loved one.
Nutrition and Dementia